Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Telescopic Text

He made tea. This morning I stumbled upon a site known simply as Telescopic Text.

Being a tea drinker myself, I clicked on one of the three words that make up the only sentence on the site: I made tea. And then…more words appeared. A tale of tea brewing began to take shape. If a word was shaded in gray, clicking on it revealed more text (and more gray). But even without clicking on all of the shaded areas, the story still made sense – it was simply the condensed version. I. made. tea.


I like this technique and wonder if it would work for more complicated subject matter. In a way, it improves upon the standard formula of an abstract followed by a click-to for the full article. What if I only want to learn about the type of tea and what was served with it? What if I’m just interested in the process of steeping? It’s a simple format, but I see potential for this as a storytelling mechanism.

No comments: